With the surge of mobile uptake in recent years, email subscribers are now viewing emails in a diverse ecosystem of desktop, mobile and social contexts. Therefore, it's imperative to design your email marketing campaigns with mobile in mind, to ensure that your mobile recipients are getting the best user experience from your messages. If you’re not optimising your email marketing for mobile, you could be missing valuable opportunities. Read on to find out how to optimise your EDM campaigns for mobile audiences.
How do I know if I have a mobile audience?
Web analytics and surveys can help you decide. Most email marketing software includes email analytics to collect information on which email clients and devices your subscribers are using to view their emails. A general rule: if over 7% of your subscribers are viewing your campaigns via mobile, it’s time to optimize.
How do I optimize email for mobile audiences?
There are no mobile email standards, therefore successful email design focuses on the viewing environment rather than specific devices.
- Small subject: Keep your subject line within 15 characters;
- Scale and streamline: Reduce the width of your emails to 600px, using a single column or stacked layout. Simplicity rules in mobile;
- Touch and go: The finger is the new mouse. Design for image-based touch targets at 45 x 45px;
- Bigger is better: Use 14px text for body and 22px text for headlines. Anything smaller will be resized;
- Mobilise content: Don’t reduce the amount of content, simplify mobilise it. Favour short sentences and clear calls to action;
- Lighten your load: Emails should be 20K or less, anything larger has to be downloaded by the user.
Test: Send yourself a test and open it on your mobile device to get a feel for how it’ll look to your subscribers. Make changes if necessary.
Vivo Group specialise in custom email design, guaranteeing enhanced consumer relations and superior response rates. For more information, contact us today.