If you thought Google Plus was going to fail, think again. Google has made a big move into the social space with Google Search Plus Your World, which transforms Google “into a search engine that understands not only content, but also people and relationships”. This is the Googleverse, after all. But what does this change mean for your social and SEO strategy? Read on to find out.
What is Search Plus Your World?
Google Search Plus Your World is the integration of Google Plus with Google Search. When you’re logged into Google Plus, the new social search algorithm returns “more relevant” results by aggregating data from your network - such as people in your circles and the pages they have recommended - and bumping these personalised results to the top of the search results page. Google calls this access “your web”, because “you should be able to find your own stuff on the web, the people you know and the things they’ve shared with you”. Google Search Plus can be switched off, however people and pages recommendations cannot be disabled.
Many have criticised the depth of the Search Plus world, because search results are exclusively stacked towards your Google Plus network. How can Google tout a personally relevant search engine when it doesn’t consider content on Facebook or Twitter? Is Google leveraging it’s search platform in a last ditch attempt to claim social media supremacy?
Overall, it doesn’t matter how much we like Google Plus, it matters how we optimise the network to gain a competitive search advantage.
Google + is the New SEO
You can no longer turn a blind eye to Google Plus. In Google Search Plus Your World, your G+ friend’s online interactions and experiences are more relevant than links and domain authority. Now, your web content ranks higher by building an active and interested Google Plus network and encouraging them to +1 your content
Your Google+ Strategy
The key is to optimise for humans, not bots. In this way, Content needs to be as conversational as it contextually relevant in order to be visible in Google’s social search.
- Don’t wait, get on Google Plus and create a company page. Focus on keywords and links in the About, load up the Recommended Links with your other social media profiles and populate your page with photos;
- Change your G+ privacy settings so you’re posting publicly;
- Grow your fan base. Add a +1 button to your website and blog, but give users a reason to “want” to add you. Don’t play the numbers game - you’re looking for social engagement.
- Develop a list of keywords and topic areas your business is known for. Share creative, quality content around these topics to get people talking, interacting and sharing;
- Watch your competition closely. What are they doing on Google+? Make sure you’re doing more;
- Measure your social presence. What content is driving interaction? Identify what you could be doing better.
- Circle us on Google Plus!
If there’s one thing we’ve learnt from Google Search Plus Your World, it’s that the digitial world is ever-evolving, and you should always be prepared to chop and change.
Need more guidance on G+? Contact Vivo Group today to see how we can help you get set up on Google Plus, grow a fan base and create quality content to drive engagement.